Shopping in Thun’s town centre is a fantastic experience. The town’s many traditional, innovative and family-run shops offer a wide range of high-quality goods. Stroll through the bustling Bälliz shopping street or cross the Aare and visit the shops in Obere Hauptgasse with its famous raised pavements.
From fashion boutiques selling well-known brands to more traditional shops – Thun offers a compact yet exceptional shopping experience. Stroll through the historic two-tiered raised pavements in Obere Hauptgasse. Visit family-owned businesses such as the Schoder cutlery shop and discover beautiful jewellery in one of the town’s jewellers. Fresh regional vegetables and fruit are sold on Rathausplatz (Town Hall Square) every Saturday morning. There are also markets on the island of Bälliz, which is surrounded by the river Aare. Visit the weekly market on Wednesdays and Saturdays for local delicacies and beautiful flowers. If you’re looking for something sweet to take home as a souvenir from Thun, why not buy some “Thunfischli” (small fish-shaped almond cakes) or “Thunerli” (chocolate biscuits with a chocolate cream filling) at Confiserie Steinmann in Bälliz?
Your highlights at a glance
- A shopping experience for every taste: from family-owned shops to well-known brands
- Weekly market in Bälliz every Wednesday and Saturday
- Saturday morning market with fresh local produce market in picturesque Rathausplatz
- Bälliz is an island surrounded by the turquoise waters of the River Aare
- Shopping – an experience for all weathers
To ensure that your trip is perfect in every way, please note
Personal tip“I like to stroll through Bälliz, the shopping island surrounded by the turquoise River Aare, then relax with a coffee in Thun’s Mühleplatz.”
- Check the opening times of the shops; most are closed on Sundays
- Find out about Thun’s seasonal markets
- Late-night opening: the town centre’s shops have extended opening hours on Thursday evenings
- Relax and enjoy an aperitif in Thun’s Mühleplatz